Internet Download Manager or better known as IDM will usually check for updates automatically once a week.
Turn off automatic updates : Well, after the update check process is complete, IDM will display a notification message when there is a new version update. This notification is sometimes quite annoying because it appears automatically and continuously when IDM is first opened, for example when you are about to start the download process.
Even if you use a laptop with the operating system Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, the update notification can appear instantly if IDM is in the list of software running at startup.
IDM update notification that appears automatically
Well, if you don’t want to bother with having to click the Cancel button every time an update notification appears, then you can get rid of the notification by permanently turning off updates in IDM.
Actually IDM does not provide a feature to turn off auto updates but don’t worry because there is an easy way to solve it.
Read this article to the end, come on.
Is IDM Update Required?
Technically the answer is, yes. This is because updating a program has a good purpose, namely to patch bugs and also to improve the performance of the program.
In IDM, the performance in question is download speed and also the ability to continue downloading errors on more websites such as Google Drive and Dropbox.
However, if the older IDM version that you are using has no problems at all, does not force close and there are no errors, then why is IDM still updating?
According to GadgetLogi, the update could have been used to detect IDM software piracy.
Because, if you use a crack, keygen or other malicious program to give a fake license to IDM and you update it then IDM will not be able to be opened and used again.
This is usually indicated by the IDM which when opened appears a fake serial number and counterfeit serial number warning.
In essence, updating or not will return to your needs.
Steps to Turn Off IDM Updates
The easiest and safest way (not causing errors) is to turn off IDM updates via Regedit (Registry Editor) in Windows.
Therefore, you no longer need to rename the IDMGrHlp.exe and idmBroker.exe files which may result in errors because these two files are the core program files of IDM.
So, how does Regedit work on IDM?
In short, IDM will store the last date from when updates were checked in Regedit. This date is saved in DD/MM/YY format.
So, when you change the last saved date to a future date, the auto update on IDM will not run.
Well, very simple right? want to try it? here are the steps:
- Open Regedit on your Windows laptop by pressing the Windows key + R on the keyboard then type regedit and click the OK button.
- If there is no button with the Windows logo on your keyboard then you can open Regedit in another way, namely clicking the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen then typing Regedit and clicking on the Registry Editor program.
- After the Regedit program opens, the next step is to open the folder structure to Computer -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> DownloadManager.
- If you have entered the DownloadManager folder, please scroll down and look for the name LstCheck.
- The next step, double left-click on LstCheck then change the Value data which previously contained **/**/20 (in 2020) to **/**/99 (2099). So to activate the update again, please change 99 to 20.
- Save the data changes you made by clicking the OK button and closing the Regedit program.
- You don’t need to restart the laptop, just close the running IDM and reopen it then no more update notifications will appear.
IDM updates can sometimes be very important if there are bugs and errors. However, if you don’t feel the need or want to save quota, you can turn off IDM update notifications.
Good luck and hopefully useful.