Solar Gadgets : Solar power has slipped into almost everything we do from listening to music to camping and even procrastinating. It is therefore time to have a look at some of the most practical and impractical solar gadgets available today.
Practical solar gadgets:
1) Solar powered desk lamps: The idea is fascinating: a light source powered by a light source. What’s also nice is the range of desk lamps that can be used in a variety of ways for a variety of purposes. You get solar lamps are that are strictly for indoor use. These absorb energy during the day and provide light at night (for a limited period of time). You get indoor and outdoor solar lamps and lamps that are outdoor only. Any way you look at it the future is bright.
2) Solar powered car fans: These are great for long road trips when you can’t avoid driving through the heat of the day, especially in hot parts of the country. Fans are usually placed above the rear view mirror where they are ideally positioned to absorb sunlight and blow refreshingly cool air into the interior of the car.
3) Solar tents: Campers tend to be nature enthusiasts and nature enthusiasts have a vested interest in protecting the planet, which is why solar tents are perfect. A number of companies that specialise in outdoor equipment now manufacture their own versions of the solar tent. Typically you attach some flexible lightweight solar panels on the front of the tent above the flap. The panels then provide energy for lamps, phone chargers, iPods and assorted mobile gadgets.
4) Solar backpacks: Once again this is particularly handy for campers, but also works for people who spend a lot of their days walking around town. In essence, a solar backpack serves as a generator, absorbing and storing power so that you can charge your gadgets while on the move. Solar panels used in these backpacks are, by necessity, lightweight and flexible for easy movement and storage.
Insane solar gadgets:
1) Solar bikini: This has to top the list of the weirdest solar gadgets out there. This itsy bitsy teeny weeny bikini is covered in mini solar panels that generate enough power to charge an iPod – a small one.
2) Desk buddies: If you’re one of those people who like desk toys but are getting tired of the tick-tocking silver balls and the bobbing bird that never manages to get a decent drink of water then a solar powered desk buddy might be just the thing you’re looking for. A desk buddy is a little character, which is supposed to be cute, that sits on a solar pad and nods its head. Any kind of light will get it going. You can stop it by crushing it under your heel or throwing it out the nearest window. There are number of characters available from inanely grinning round-headed pink aliens to Jack Skellington from The Nightmare Before Christmas.
3) Solar tombstones: This rather macabre device comes with a screen that can display a 10-minute video up to six times.
4) Solar powered hat: You know those uber cool hats with the fan in the front? Well, they’ve just gone high-tech. Now you can get a cap, straw hat and even a pith helmet with a little solar panel on top to charge a little fan on the brim. Which proves that being cool never goes out of style.